Saturday, April 16, 2011

Remembering an Old Friend

Today marks the fourth year since my beloved Fletcher passed away. Even though he was 'just a dog' and several years have gone by now, I still feel such sadness when I think about his death. We were so lucky to have one another, and I loved him so very much.



I had just relocated to the triangle area and was getting ready to start nursing school. There was just so much going on and the last thing I needed was to add a dog to the picture, but an acquaintance mentioned that we should make a quick trip to the shelter just for a look. I couldn't say no, and I thought we would just find her a cat and leave. We arrived to the SPCA and it was closed until noon, but there were pictures posted outside of the available pets up for adoption. That is when I first saw 'Igor.' A horrible name, but a precious dog with a rather quirky sounding personality from the description written below the picture. I knew we must return to have a look at this Igor dog.

We were there right when the doors opened at noon, and I told the clerk I was interested in visiting Igor. She assured me that he was one of her favorite dogs, and that he had been there for over a month. We walked to his little kennel area and it was love at first sight. He was nervous, but clearly adored the attention from our visit. His fur had been dyed various colors, and he cowered frequently so it was evident he had known some really hard times. It was definitely time for him to have a caring home. I would call him Fletcher. I had no idea what to do to prepare for his homecoming, so I had plenty of questions for the SPCA folks. It took about five days for the paperwork to go through before I could bring him home, so I was busy studying my nursing books and buying dog items. I received a call that week from the shelter to inform me that he had heart worm, and they asked me if I still wanted to proceed with the adoption. I did some quick research and found out that it was curable, so I said yes.

I remember the day I picked him up, and we were both so nervous. He got right into the back seat and pooped. Poor sweet dog. I laughed and just happily cleaned up the car when we got home, and that was the beginning of a wonderful three and a half years together. Just me and Fletcher. He taught me so much about responsibility, and when I had some pretty tough days at the beginning of my nursing career he was always at home happily waiting for his evening walk and dinner. He was certainly a quirky little guy. He had no idea how to play and was never a huge fan of Aaron, but he was happy and even outgrew his cowering over time. He loved walks in the woods, visiting my parents, cheap kibble, and just having quiet lazy days at home.

He actually passed away from lung cancer a couple of weeks after we got married. He spent an entire week in the ICU and then got to come home his last week. Overall he felt pretty good those final days. He still enjoyed his walks and meals, and I sometimes had a hard time believing that he was dying. But the vet was right and one night he could no longer walk or eat, and I knew it was time. Aaron got home from working night shift and we took him to the vet and had him put down. It was so difficult, but the right thing to do. There was such a void for several months, but time definitely heals and by mid-summer we were back to the shelter looking for another dog. It's probably kind of silly to write about him here four years later, but he was such an important part of my life and taught me so much in our short time together. He taught me to be glad, to be nice, and to remember that life is fragile. Pretty important lessons, and it's good to jot down to so that I don't forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment