Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Fun Day Off

I have a great schedule this week.  I worked on Saturday and Sunday, and then I go back Thursday and Friday.  My days off this week have been very chill.  Monday was spent relaxing, going for a quick jog, taking Zuri to the beach, and drinking a beer at our favorite neighborhood bar in the evening.  Our favorite pub is called The Blackthorn, and thankfully it is just three blocks away from our apartment.  The afternoon crowd consists of mainly older men, and the evening clientele is more our age.  They welcome dogs with open arms, and there are always plenty of treats for Zuri to snack on while she makes her rounds collecting pets.  These days she really thinks she is something special, and she loves late afternoons at the bar. 

Yesterday I decided to get up early, so I made it out of bed by 5:30 to make Aaron pancakes before he went to work.  After cleaning the kitchen and waiting for the sun to come up, I went for a long jog with Zuri all through the park.  A morning run was what we were both needing, and we both arrived home in happy spirits.  I was in much need of a haircut, so I wandered down the street and found a Chinese hair salon that only charged five dollars for a trim.  Few words were exchanged, but the lady did a fine job and my hair is now a little bit longer than a buzz cut.  Poor Aaron, but he does complain any time I spend more than twenty dollars to get my hair done, so I didn't really have any other options!  He says that I look like a twelve year old boy, so I will be wearing plenty of blush and lipstick during the next few weeks while it grows out.  At least I am happy with it, which is all that really matters.

Following the haircut I caught the Muni and made my way down to Chinatown to wander the streets and find lunch.  Even though the Chinatown in NYC is my very favorite, the one in SF is quite nice as well.   Once you get off the main tourist street the neighborhood becomes much more authentic.  All signs are in mandarin (with no english translation) and there are very few non-Chinese faces in the crowd.  The markets have a wide variety of really interesting fruits and vegetables and some really scary looking meat products (especially the chicken legs that are dyed blue).  Some of the snack items include dried conch halves, conch rinds (similar looking to pork rinds), shellfish crisps and pickled chicken feet.  Wandering in this area is just like being back in China, and I love that feeling of being worlds away when I am only five short miles from home.

While walking around I passed a Catholic church and noticed a sign that advertised 'Tuesday Noontime Concerts.'  It was Tuesday and around 11:45, so I decided to walk for a little bit longer and head back towards the church to attend the concert.  I got to the church around noon and accidentally stumbled into mass.  Expecting to hear the cello, instead I got to hear the priest's homily.  Ha, the concert didn't start until 12:30, so I unexpectedly attended mass which is never a bad thing.  The cathedral was beautiful with high domed ceilings and colorful stained glass windows.  After the service, the concert began and consisted of a cellist and pianist playing pieces by Bach and Schumann.  The music was fantastic, and I especially enjoyed watching the pianist.  She played with such emotion and feeling, head banging and then swaying slowly at times.  The performance lasted for about an hour, and it was most certainly quality time spent.  I hope to make it back for another Tuesday concert in the near future.

Once I left the cathedral I found lunch at one of my favorite little noodle shops.  Then I made my way to the waterfront to check out the view since it was a clear day.  I walked and took a few photos before making my way back towards home.  Zuri was in need of a good walk.  She was very happy to see me when I came through the door and after running around the house with her duck for a good five minutes we left for the park.  I had thought about going to the gym, but it was just too nice outside, so we walked for a long time through the park.  It was such a nice way to wind down the day. 





No comments:

Post a Comment