Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It is so hard to believe that Thanksgiving is only two days away.  I have cooked all day for our early T-day feast with fellow travelers tonight.  Not having a mixer is challenging and adds plenty of minutes to preparation time.  Oh well, at least my arms are getting a nice workout.  I am looking very forward to once again sitting around the dinner table with friends and good food.  Let's see, I have prepared a baked chicken with stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn pudding, and some delicious nutritionally dense ooey-gooey pumpkin bars.  The girls will be bringing over all kinds of yummy items as well, so it will most certainly be a great night.  Aaron even said that I have outdone myself!  

Lately work has been rather sad, and I find myself becoming quite emotional about many of our sweet little patients.  I think it is especially sad this time of year with the holidays just around the corner.  Ever since I walked the halls of the hospital on Halloween to accompany my patient for trick-or-treating I just haven't been the same.  Random little insignificant moments (joyous or sad) make me very emotional.  I loved seeing the patients all dressed up and festive, so that their iv polls carried along weren't even noticeable.  There were plenty of witches, princesses, batman's, and even a little girl dressed as a teapot.  It is so easy to forget what 'normal' is when working in the ICU setting.  The hospital did such a wonderful job hosting this event and making all of the children feel special.  It was awesome, and it left me with a greater appreciation for what I do as a nurse and for the people that I work with here. So even when the days seem long and I feel overworked, I think back to Halloween and am reminded why I became a nurse.

So anyway, I have so much to be thankful for this year as with all of the previous years.  It is great to live here in the bay area with my little family.  We get to explore and have so much fun on our days off.  I have really loved working out here, and I find my job very fulfilling right now.  It will be bittersweet to say goodbye to all of the nice folks I have met in the next couple of weeks.  We are so excited about the spending the upcoming Christmas season with our families and friends.  I got to spend six months traveling the world last year.  Oh my, the list could just go on and on, but these are some of the things that come to mind.  So much to be thankful for!  Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment